Home
Vital Records
Birth, Death, Marriages
           

 

Camp McDonald

 

Camp McDonald is where confederate soldiers trained from 1861 to 1864. More than 3,000 men from the famed Phillips Legion commanded by Colonel William Phillips trained there in the summer of 1861.  Camp McDonald was named after the 22nd governor of Georgia, Charles J. McDonald, by then Gov. Joseph M. Brown in June 1861. Gov. McDonald was born in Charleston, SC on July 9, 1793. In the early 1800's he moved to Bibb County, Georgia and practiced law and politics. After serving several terms in the Georgia House and Senate, he was elected to two terms as governor in 1839 and 1841. He later served on the Georgia Supreme Court from 1855-1859.

The camp was located at Big Shanty (now Kennesaw) and was important because of the abundance of water and railroad activity (lodging, freight) that provided a means and point to move troops to the war.  Big Shanty was also significant as the beginning point of Andrews Raid on April 12, 1862, that was made famous by Walt Disney's film, "The Great Locomotive Chase".  Camp McDonald was originally comprised of about 60 acres, but had no permanent structures. The center of the camp was generally that of the current park, where many of the springs and streams were located. Around this area was the arrangement of tents, training areas and parade grounds.

 

 

Friends of Camp McDonald Park is a non-profit volunteer organization formed in 2010 and made up of individuals at every level of Cobb County society who share the dream of a park in the heart of downtown Kennesaw. http://www.campmcdonaldpark.org/ TAKES YOU OFF THIS SITE.

 

 

2016