Home
Vital Records
Birth, Death, Marriages
           

 

David William Lewis

 

David William Lewis

From the Dahlonega Gold Museum, travel west on West Main Street. The monuments is on the campus of North Georgia College, near Brice Memorial Hall.

Brief History


(Northside of Monument) David William Lewis-First President of North Georgia Agriculture 1873 - 1885. Born in Hancock County, Georgia October 24, 1816, died December 28, 1885.
(Westside of Monument) 1837 graduate University of Georgia, 1837 private secretary to Gov. George R. Gilmer. 1843 admitted to the bar. 1845 representative from Hancock County in the legislature for ten years. 1846 charter member of Charter Member Georgia State Agriculture Society of which he was the third president and after 1866 was secretary for a number of years. 1855 trustee University of Georgia for thirty years. 1861 member of First Confederate Congress from Fifth Georgia District. 1873 president North Georgia Agricultural College for thirteen years.
(Southside of Monument) Erected by the old students of the North Georgia Agricultural College, by the Georgia State Agricultural Society and by his friends to perpetuate the memory of one whom they loved and honored and to teach the lesson of a noble life unselfishly given to lofty purposes. Dedicated June 29, 1891.
(Eastside of Monument) In public service he was a wise legislator, a safe counselor, and orator, and a patriot. He was a devoted father and a loyal Christian, broad in his views and in his faith simple as a child. His last great work was his presidency of the North Georgia Agricultural College. Here he taught his boys and girls to love and to live for their native State, typing its chivalry and its virtue in their own lives and looking to its future welfare in their keeping. His fatherly interest in the student, his own scholarly accomplishments and faithful teaching and his gentle and affectionate counsellings won in every heart a loving place for the old Colonel.

 

Brief History

(Northside of Monument) David William Lewis-First President of North Georgia Agriculture 1873 - 1885. Born in Hancock County, Georgia October 24, 1816, died December 28, 1885.
(Westside of Monument) 1837 graduate University of Georgia, 1837 private secretary to Gov. George R. Gilmer. 1843 admitted to the bar. 1845 representative from Hancock County in the legislature for ten years. 1846 charter member of Charter Member Georgia State Agriculture Society of which he was the third president and after 1866 was secretary for a number of years. 1855 trustee University of Georgia for thirty years. 1861 member of First Confederate Congress from Fifth Georgia District. 1873 president North Georgia Agricultural College for thirteen years.
(Southside of Monument) Erected by the old students of the North Georgia Agricultural College, by the Georgia State Agricultural Society and by his friends to perpetuate the memory of one whom they loved and honored and to teach the lesson of a noble life unselfishly given to lofty purposes. Dedicated June 29, 1891.
(Eastside of Monument) In public service he was a wise legislator, a safe counselor, and orator, and a patriot. He was a devoted father and a loyal Christian, broad in his views and in his faith simple as a child. His last great work was his presidency of the North Georgia Agricultural College. Here he taught his boys and girls to love and to live for their native State, typing its chivalry and its virtue in their own lives and looking to its future welfare in their keeping. His fatherly interest in the student, his own scholarly accomplishments and faithful teaching and his gentle and affectionate counsellings won in every heart a loving place for the old Colonel.

 

2016